I cleared 6,200 dollars per door net last year across nine rooms and I want to know if anyone here is doing better than that.
That number came out of a 9-room house in Garland, all shared baths, no meals, no services, just rooms. I track it per door because the square footage comparison is meaningless on this asset type. Gross rents ran 790 to 850 a month per room depending on floor and window count, which still sounds low to people used to apartment math until you look at what the building cost me in 2019. My vacancy drag was 11 days total across all nine rooms for the full year, one turnover in March and one in September. Operating costs ate more than I wanted, mostly deferred maintenance I finally stopped deferring, and I still walked out at 55,800 net for the year. Divided nine ways that's 6,200 and change. My best single-family door in the same zip clears maybe 4,100 on a good year and causes twice the phone calls. I am not saying boarding house operations are simple, the licensing alone in Dallas County will age you, but on a per-door basis I have not found anything that competes with this format at this price point. Curious what the ceiling looks like for people running tighter operations or better markets.