Sitting on 38k cash and deciding between a pre-foreclosure note at 71 cents on the dollar or waiting for the trustee sale on the same property
The pre-foreclosure seller is 14 months behind, property in Puyallup, UPB around 54k, and the note broker is asking 38,300. That gets me in at roughly 71 cents. The play would be to work with the borrower, get a deed in lieu if they cooperate, or foreclose myself if they don't, which adds maybe four to six months and probably 6k in legal fees on the Washington timeline.
The trustee sale on the same property is scheduled for March. If I wait I could theoretically bid there and skip the note entirely, but I have no idea what the opening bid comes in at, and whoever set it has math I haven't seen. Could be close to what the broker is asking anyway, and then I'm competing instead of being the only person at the table right now.
The house comps around 112k in as-is condition, maybe 128k with 15k of work. So the spread is real either way, the question is just whether 38,300 for the note beats waiting three months to bid blind at the auction. The note route gives me control of timing and negotiation. The auction route might get me in cheaper or might get me nothing if I'm outbid or the opening bid is already 45k.
What I keep coming back to is that the note broker obviously ran this same math and priced accordingly. So the question is whether his margin is thin enough that buying the note still makes sense for me, or whether he got greedy and the auction will actually be the better number.