Why does a land note buyer care about the seller's original cost basis from 1987
My note mentor dropped that on me Tuesday and I am still turning it over. We were looking at a 14-acre raw parcel in Bastrop County, seller wants $62,000, no improvements, sitting on it since 1987 when she paid somewhere around $8,000 for it. I was thinking about it as a possible assignment but he wanted to run through it as a performing note scenario just to show me the difference. And then he said that, about the cost basis, and I said why would that affect anything and he looked at me like I had asked why water was wet. Something about capital gains exposure changing what a seller will actually accept versus what they say they will accept, and that if she is sitting on a $54,000 gain she may take a lower note rate just to spread that income out over years instead of eating the whole tax hit in one filing. I do not fully have it yet. But it is the first time I have looked at a parcel and thought the seller's 1987 paperwork might matter more than the zoning.