Is a right of first refusal worth writing into a lease option in case a cash offer appears mid term
On a 28 month option term, the scenario worth planning for is a cash buyer showing up in month 14 and the seller deciding to entertain it.
On a 28 month option term, the scenario worth planning for is a cash buyer showing up in month 14 and the seller deciding to entertain it.
A right of first refusal (ROFR) and a lease option are actually two different tools, and knowing the distinction matters here.
A lease option gives you the right to buy at a set price before the lease ends. If it is drafted properly, the seller cannot sell to anyone else during that term without breaching the contract. The option is the protection. The seller entertaining a cash offer in month 14 is not a gray area, it is a contract violation, and you would have grounds to enforce your option or seek damages.
A ROFR is a separate mechanism that says: if an offer comes in, you get to match it. That is weaker than an option because it presumes the seller can shop the property, and you are reacting to someone else's offer rather than holding a pre-agreed right.
So the question worth asking is whether your option agreement is recorded. Recording means filing it with the county recorder's office so it appears in the public title record. A recorded option puts any buyer on legal notice that your interest exists. A cash buyer's title search will surface it, and a title company will not insure a clean sale over your recorded interest. That is your real protection for a 28-month term.
I cannot give legal advice, but this is exactly the kind of question to put to a real estate attorney before month 14 arrives, because the answer depends on your specific contract language and your state's rules on enforceability.
The strategy guide's section on legal precision is worth rereading with this in mind, specifically the note about keeping the option as a separate contract and documenting terms carefully.
Is your option currently recorded, or is it just a signed agreement sitting in a file?
That 28 months reads light for exactly this reason. The stronger structures run the option term closer to 36 to 42 months and tie the ROFR to matching any bona fide offer within 72 hours. Sellers will try to slip in the standard 10 or 30 days because that window gives them room to manufacture urgency, and the clock on that matching period is everything. If the agreement does not define what counts as a bona fide offer in writing, a seller's attorney will argue a handshake deal qualifies and you are left scrambling. It is also worth pushing to have the option consideration listed separately from rent credits so there is no ambiguity about what has already been paid if it ever goes to dispute.
The one thing I have never seen actually hold is relying on a ROFR alone without a recorded memorandum of option against the title. Sellers entertain cash offers anyway and a buyer's attorney finds a clean title and your option is invisible. I closed a 36-month deal in Phoenix in 2022 and the title company flagged my recorded memo in the first five minutes of the cash buyer's due diligence, full stop, they walked. Without that recording you are basically hoping the seller stays honest for 28 months, which is a different kind of risk than real protection. Get an attorney to record that memo the same week you sign, not later.
The enforceability question deserves more attention than the structure itself. In some states a ROFR on real property has to be recorded against the title to bind a bona fide purchaser, so if your seller never recorded it the cash buyer can close and you are left with a breach of contract claim against a seller who may have already spent the money. In markets where recording fees and transfer taxes make sellers balk at recording anything mid-lease, that is exactly when you find out the paperwork was decorative. What actually works is tying a liquidated damages clause to the ROFR breach, something specific like 18 months of rent, because sellers do math and a vague threat to sue is no deterrent, while a hard number is. Your 28-month window also matters here because the longer the term the more likely a seller has a genuine change in circumstance, so the damages clause has to be painful enough to make walking away irrational at month 14 in practice, and a clause that only looks strong on paper will not do it.
Had this exact situation blow up on me in Tempe, Arizona, 2021. 31-month option, I was maybe 16 months in, seller got a full-ask cash offer from a neighbor who wanted to fold the lot into a bigger parcel. My ROFR language said I had 72 hours to match a "bona fide written offer" but the seller's attorney argued the neighbor's offer had a lot-consolidation contingency that made it structurally unmatchable by me as an individual buyer. Judge agreed. Lost roughly $18,000 in option consideration and about $4,200 I had put into the HVAC system under an improvement clause I thought was going to count toward purchase price.
What I changed after that is I now insist the ROFR language explicitly covers offers with contingencies, and that "match" means matching the net proceeds to the seller, not the gross offer terms. My attorney in Phoenix added a clause that if an offer contains conditions I structurally cannot meet, like a lot consolidation or a 1031 exchange requirement tied to the buyer's other property, the seller must either reject it or give me a 10-day window to negotiate a modified deal directly. I also added a $50,000 liquidated damages clause for seller breach, because without a real penalty number in there the ROFR is basically just a polite suggestion. And 72 hours to match is nowhere near enough time to arrange financing confirmation. I would push for at least 10 business days minimum.
The thing I have never seen work is a handshake understanding that the seller will "just call you first" before taking another offer. What actually happens is they take the offer, claim they panicked, and then you're arguing about it after the fact with nothing in writing. The ROFR needs to be its own recorded clause, not buried in a lease addendum that a title company might not even pull up during closing. I've read about deals in Phoenix and Atlanta where the tenant-buyer had a signed option but no recorded ROFR and got completely steamrolled when a wholesaler came in at month 11 with a quick close. Thirty days to match, recorded against title, is the floor I keep seeing cited by people who have actually survived a mid-term cash offer situation.