Sold a live-in flip in phoenix last spring, $341k net after holding costs, and the number that got me was how little the renovation actually drove it
Bought at $278k in november 2022, desert ridge adjacent, 1,847 square feet, roof was shot, kitchen was 1994, one bathroom needed a full gut. Put $61k into it over 22 months, did about 40% of the labor myself on weekends. Sold march 2024 at $489k. So the gross spread was $211k, subtract the $61k in materials and subs, subtract $18k in carry costs, selling side commission ate another $24k, and I walked with $341k before tax. What surprised me was running the comps from the day I closed to the day I listed, houses on that street that nobody touched went from the low $280s to the low $390s. The market gave me roughly $110k and the work gave me maybe $40k of lift on top of that. I thought it would be the other way around. I was planning this whole renovation thesis and the neighborhood was just doing the heavy lifting the whole time. Still worth doing, the $40k is real and the condition got me a faster close at full ask. But I spent 22 months living in construction dust convinced I was creating value, and most of the value was already happening around me.