Why does the same house rent for $400 more six blocks north and I cannot figure out what changed
I work escrow so I read every page of every file that crosses my desk, and I see rental comps in closing disclosures constantly. There is a 1,940 square foot house in Riverside that rented for $2,850 in March. Six blocks north, almost the same square footage, same year built, same school district as far as I can tell, went for $3,250 in February. I have been staring at both files for three weeks trying to find the variable. The street the cheaper one sits on has a little more traffic but not a highway or anything dramatic. Both had recent interior paint. Neither had a garage conversion or an ADU. I thought maybe the north one had updated kitchen appliances but I cannot confirm that from what I have in front of me. I am not yet an owner and I am trying to understand how rent actually prices at the micro level before I buy something and set a number blind. Is this a landlord just reading demand wrong in one direction or is there something about a six block radius that actually moves the number that much and that consistently.