Did anyone else get the Ashcroft capital call letter and just sit with it for a week
I am not in Ashcroft specifically but I have watched this from the outside because I had a colleague who put $100k in one of their Texas multifamily deals around 2021 and she forwarded me the update letters for a while. The structure they used was pretty standard value-add LP, which means when rates moved the way they did in 2022 and 2023 the debt assumptions fell apart faster than the business plan could absorb. That is not unique to them but they were big enough and visible enough that it is playing out publicly. What I keep thinking about is the decision the LP faces right now, which is whether the capital call math actually pencils or whether you are throwing good money at a deal that still has a structural problem at the loan level. If the refi they are trying to execute still requires a rate that does not exist in the current market, a second check does not fix that, it just delays the same conversation. My colleague ended up deciding the underlying assets in her deal still had occupancy and the market had not completely fallen out, so she participated. But she told me she asked for a current rent roll and a updated appraisal before she wired anything, and the sponsor sent both without a fight, which she took as a reasonable sign. I think that is the actual question, not whether to fund the call but whether you can get enough current data to make the decision on something other than trust built in 2020.