My Memphis duplex was fully gut-renovated in 2019 and I still got burned on reserves
Bought it in early 2022 thinking the renovation reset the clock. Previous owner had done everything, new roof, new HVAC, PEX throughout, updated panel. I sized my reserves like I was holding a 3-year-old house and not a 1947 structure that happened to have new stuff inside it. By the end of 2023 I had eaten $6,800 in things the renovation never touched: original floor joists with sistering I didn't catch until a tenant complained about flex in the bathroom floor, a crawlspace vapor situation that the inspector flagged as "monitor" and I did not monitor, and a sewer lateral that is still clay from the street connection back about 40 feet. None of that showed up in what got renovated because none of it was cosmetic or mechanical. A renovation is not a condition reset. It's a selective replacement of whatever the owner cared about or whatever the permit required. The bones stay the age they are. My note fund I can model pretty cleanly because the collateral doesn't have a crawlspace. The duplex has taught me that a 1947 house with a new kitchen is still a 1947 house and I should have sized reserves at something closer to 12 percent of rents, not the 8 percent I used going in.