My Airbnb in Scottsdale averaged $187 a night last summer and my neighbor with an almost identical floor plan averaged $310.
Same subdivision, same bed count, about 400 feet apart. I walked his place exactly once and understood immediately, he had done nothing special to the house itself but every photo had a story in it, the pool shot had two floats and a cocktail in frame, the primary bedroom had actual light coming through actual curtains someone had pulled back for the shot, and the kitchen looked like someone had just cooked in it. Mine looked like a Marriott that lost its budget. I have been house hacking the Scottsdale place since 2021 and I lived in the third bedroom for the first 14 months, so I know the property cold, I know the guests, I know the comp set. And I was leaving $40,000 a year on the table because of photography and probably another $8,000 because my listing description reads like an insurance form. I hired a hospitality photographer in February, $1,100 for the shoot plus a half day of staging rentals. March ADR came in at $241. Not $310 yet, but the gap is closing faster than any capital improvement I have made to that property. The cabin in Gatlinburg photographs itself because a ridge at dusk sells the shot. Scottsdale has no natural drama so somebody has to build it frame by frame. That is the part I underestimated for three years.