My tenant asked me to take 800 of the 1,150 and catch up next month, and I said yes, and I think I made a mistake
This was Durham, March of last year. Single family I had moved out of 18 months prior, converted clean, tenant had been there eight months without a hiccup. She lost a week of hours at her job, said it was temporary, and I believed her because she'd been good. So I took the 800, wrote it down in a text thread, and told her to get me the 350 by the 15th. The 15th came and went. She paid 600 of it. By May I was carrying a $900 deficit and we were having the kind of conversations I hate having over the phone from Oklahoma.
What I learned is that partial payment resets the dynamic in a way that is very hard to undo. She stopped seeing herself as behind because I kept accepting what she sent. I get why she thought that. I kept cashing the checks. In North Carolina, accepting partial rent can also muddy an eviction filing if you're not careful about how you document the shortfall and whether you've formally reserved your rights in writing, and I had not done any of that. I just took the money and hoped.
I ended up eating about $1,400 total before she moved voluntarily in June. Found something cheaper. Fine. But those three months ground down something in me that took a while to name, and what it was is that I had let the relationship matter more than the agreement. She's a person, her situation was real, I don't regret caring about that. But caring about it and accepting partial rent without a written repayment agreement signed the same day are two different things, and I only did one of them.
If I'm ever in that spot again I'm drafting a catch-up agreement on paper, both signatures, specific dates, specific amounts, and a clause that says accepting the partial does not waive my right to pursue the balance. That's the only way partial payment makes any sense at all. Without that document you're just hoping, and hope is not a lease term.