I walked a 9-unit in Lancaster last Tuesday that rented for $595 average per door and the owner cleared $28,400 last year after everything.
Lancaster. Not Columbus, not Dayton, not the suburbs people are already fighting over. I drive through there doing punch list work and the streets look like 2019 Columbus looked before the money found it. That $28,400 on a 9-unit pencils at a purchase price somewhere around $380k if you want an 8 cap, and I have seen two listings there in the last four months sitting at exactly that range. Meanwhile the same conversation about Columbus keeps pointing people to Short North adjacents where a 9-unit will run you $900k and your cap is theoretical at best. I am not in a position to buy anything yet, still building toward the down payment, but I am paying close enough attention that I know which cities the turnover work is picking up in. Lancaster has new tenants moving in. Findlay does too. Those are not random signals. When I see a lot of move-out cleans stacking up in a market it usually means someone is buying, renovating and re-tenanting, and that activity in smaller Ohio cities has been steady since spring. If I get to 30k down before mid-2026 my target is something in that $350k to $425k range in one of these secondary cities, not Columbus proper where I would need twice the down payment to get through underwriting on a comparable door count.