Capital tied up in Illinois but a Chicago deal sits on my desk and I need to decide in the next two weeks
My farm ground cash rents hit in March and I rolled most of it into a flip I'm wrapping up in Lakeland, about 260k into that project and I won't see it back until probably late June. There's a mixed-use building near Logan Square, asking 1.9m, that a broker I trust brought me last week, and the senior quote I got this morning comes in at 65 percent LTV, so 1.235m. That leaves 665k to close, and I have maybe 180k liquid right now after keeping reserves. So I'm short roughly 485k and I'm not waiting five months to deploy. The way I'm looking at it is either I bring in a mezz lender to fill that 485k band between 65 and about 90 percent, at probably 11 or 12 points, or I find a JV partner who takes that gap as preferred equity at a negotiated preferred return and maybe a back-end split. The mezz route keeps me in control of the entity, the pref route probably costs me somewhere between 15 and 18 percent annualized and a piece of the upside. On a deal I intend to hold 24 to 36 months and then refinance, that back-end split on pref bothers me more than the coupon spread between the two options. I've done the mezz side before as the lender, never as the borrower, so I'm reading every intercreditor I can find before I decide which way to go here.