Does an mREIT dividend make sense as a down payment holding account when the timeline is 18 to 30 months out
I have about $14,000 sitting in a HYSA right now earning 4.6 percent on a targeted $28,000 down for a duplex in Columbus or maybe Zanesville or Lancaster where the price points are lower. The plan is 18 to 30 months out depending on how the punch list work holds. I've been looking at some agency mREIT yields in the 11 to 13 percent range and part of me wants to move at least half of that $14k over, but the book value swings I've seen described in this room are making me hesitate. If the share price drops 8 percent in a rate move while I'm holding it, I can't just wait out a 5-year recovery, I actually need the money to close. The HYSA is boring but the number I walk in with on closing day doesn't shrink. What I can't figure out is whether there's a middle position, something like keeping 10k in the HYSA and putting 4k into an mREIT and treating the dividend as extra savings, or whether that's just adding complexity for maybe $300 a year more than the HYSA would produce anyway. Anyone who's used this kind of income as a staging account for a real purchase, I'd want to know how you thought about the exit timing specifically.