Does a QOF investor's step-up in basis at year five still matter if the 2026 gain inclusion date arrives before you hit that mark
I have a $140k short-term gain sitting from a note sale I closed in March, 180-day clock started ticking around then, and I keep running into this question. The 5-year step-up to 10% of the original deferred gain only applies if you held your QOF interest for five years before December 31, 2026. If I invest now, I get nowhere near five years before that date, so the step-up is gone entirely. What I am actually deciding is whether the permanent exclusion on appreciation after ten years is enough on its own to justify parking $140k in a pooled fund through 2034 or 2035, with no step-up benefit and no meaningful basis reduction on the deferred gain I still owe tax on in 2026 regardless. The competing option is just paying the tax in April, roughly $33k federal at short-term rates, and putting the remaining $107k into a DST with a 6.8% cash-on-cash that I can underwrite on the actual asset. Ten years of QOF appreciation exclusion sounds good until I price in two years of yield drag waiting for deployment and the gain inclusion I owe in 2026 either way.