Six mobile homes grossing maybe $4,200 a month combined and I cannot figure out which exit actually pencils
I picked up two nonperforming firsts in Georgia that are dragging, so I have been stress-testing every asset I touch right now, and the Houston STR mobile home situation is the one keeping me up. Not mine, a contact of mine holds six of them near the Ship Channel, averaging $700 a month per unit on short stays, workers in from the refineries mostly. She has been running them two years and wants out, and the number that stopped me cold was the lot rent: $480 per pad per month. So net before any management or maintenance is $220 per door. On a good month.
The question is whether she sells them as a going STR operation, converts to annual tenants and sells that way, or just sells the homes individually to the residents or anyone else who will move them. A buyer for the whole portfolio as STRs would need to believe that $700 average holds, and I am not sure that market holds once the refinery turnarounds slow down. Houston zoning on this specific setup is also not something I would bet on staying friendly forever. A park could change lot rent terms or sell the land under her too, and that risk does not disappear with a portfolio sale, it transfers to the next person at whatever discount they demand.
Long-term conversion math is not much better. $700 per month gross STR drops to maybe $550 on annual leases if she is lucky, and lot rent stays at $480, so she is collecting $70 a door before anything breaks. Selling individually makes the most sense to me if the homes are titled correctly and she can get $18k to $25k each for older units in decent shape. Six sales at even $18k each is $108k and she is done. The complication is clear title and whether the park will allow buyer financing or transfers at all. That is the first phone call she needs to make, not the last one.