My first subject-to closed last week on a duplex in Waco, 3.375% fixed, seller two months behind and ready to hand me the keys for $9,500 in equity
I have been building townhomes so long that I forgot deals could move this fast. We were under contract inside of five days. Seller was a retired teacher who inherited the property from her brother, had no interest in being a landlord, and just needed the arrears current and enough to cover her move. Title took eleven days because the estate was still technically open, which was the only real snag. I wired the $9,500 plus $4,180 to bring the loan current and paid a third-party servicer to handle the payment routing going forward, so the checks never touch my personal account. Current rent on both units is $1,050 each, PITI on the underlying loan runs $887, and I picked up a property manager for 8% because Waco is not somewhere I can drive to on a Tuesday. I had read about due-on-sale risk for two years and spent probably forty hours stress-testing what happens if the servicer wakes up. What I had not accounted for was how much faster this moves than a new build. I had a contractor through the door on day nine. My townhome projects run fourteen months from entitlement to CO. This took sixteen days from first call to recorded deed. I still have no idea if I like notes, but I think I like this.