My servicer charged me $1,200 in "file review fees" on a note I sold four months ago
I sold the note in September. Confirmed transfer with the new holder, sent the servicer written notice, got back a form acknowledgment. Then in January I see a $1,200 charge split across three line items, file review, transition prep, and something labeled "account resolution activity," all dated after the sale closed. I do not own this note anymore. I have not owned it for four months. The servicer is billing me anyway and the new holder's team says it is not their problem because the fees predate when they set up their servicing relationship. I have been going back and forth since the third week of January and the servicer has not once acknowledged in writing that the charge is wrong, they just keep telling me someone will follow up. Nobody follows up. I am out $1,200 on a note I no longer hold and I have no signed servicing agreement that specifies what happens to fees assessed during a transfer window, because I did the same thing I always do which is operate on the assumption that reasonable people will sort reasonable things out. That assumption has cost me more money in this business than any bad collateral has.