The 2027 zone redesignation is close enough now that I want to think about how a fund manager should be pricing that uncertainty into the exit timing today.
Most QOF analysis I see treats the permanent exclusion as the destination and works backward from year ten. That framing holds if the zone designation survives the fund's hold period, but the 2027 redesignation cycle means a fund closing now with a ten-year hold target exits around 2035, which clears the redesignation comfortably. The fund closing in 2025 with a ten-year hold does the same. The tension sits with funds that structured around a shorter hold, or with investors who assumed they could exit around 2027 and got caught between the redesignation timeline and the permanent exclusion clock. The zone status at exit does not affect the investor's tax treatment once the ten years are up, because the exclusion attaches to the QOF interest, not to the underlying property's zone standing. But the exit price is a different matter entirely. If a buyer for the asset in 2027 or 2028 cannot treat that property as opportunity zone eligible for their own gain, the buyer pool shrinks, and a motivated seller in a redesignated zone is negotiating from a weaker position than the underwriting assumed. That compression in exit cap rates is the thing I rarely see modeled explicitly. Take a fund that underwrote a 5.5 percent exit cap and assumed a competitive bid process. If half the likely buyers lose the OZ incentive on that specific parcel post-redesignation, the effective cap rate on exit drifts, and a 25 basis point move at that scale changes the IRR picture more than most of the other assumptions in the waterfall. The question I want to put to the room is whether your fund's GP has modeled two exit cap rate scenarios, one assuming zone continuity and one assuming redesignation, and whether the spread between those two outcomes changes how you think about the position size you took.