I put $300k into a pref piece on a 96-unit workforce housing deal in Memphis last year and got fully redeemed at month 19 with a 13.4 percent effective yield.
The structure was 10 percent current pay, no accrual, hard redemption at month 24, and a removal right that actually had teeth because the senior was a regional bank willing to cooperate on the intercreditor. Sponsor had a clean exit when he refinanced at a better rate than his original pro forma, so he wanted us out. We got out. That is the whole story. No slip, no negotiation, no haircut. The deal worked because the sponsor had skin in the common, the senior was not a CMBS pool with a servicer between us and any real conversation, and the Memphis submarket held rents through the whole hold. I had been watching this operator finish a smaller 48-unit job in Whitehaven before I put a dollar in, so I had some read on how he runs a project. I am not saying that is the reason it worked. The reason it worked is that the underlying property performed and the capital markets cooperated on the refi. But watching him finish that first job was the reason I was in this one at all. I have lost enough on GP deals and lease options to know that vetting the operator matters more than the legal structure most of the time, though I still want the intercreditor language to be right. On this one, both things lined up.