My market used to punish anyone who charged more than $150 for listing photos and now the same agents are asking for 3D scans on houses under $200k
I believed that for years too. Cleveland investors and the agents who work with them ran on cheap and fast, and anyone who tried to charge $250 for a shoot got laughed out of the conversation. The logic was that the buyer pool for a $90k rental in Slavic Village or a $140k single family in Garfield Heights was not browsing Zillow on a 4K monitor comparing photo quality. They were driving neighborhoods, calling numbers on signs, making decisions at the kitchen table with a cousin who already knew the street. So the photos were an afterthought and the price reflected that. A guy with a Nikon and a wide angle showing up for $130 was the ceiling anyone expected.
What changed it for me was watching a fourplex we listed in January sit for 28 days with cell phone photos, then we paid $210 for actual photos and a floor plan overlay and it moved in nine. Same price, same condition, different February. I do not know if that is the photos or just February being February, but it changed how I thought about the question. Then I started noticing that the agents I actually like working with, the ones who move product in the $150k to $300k range that is starting to exist here now, they were asking for 3D scans as a screening tool for out-of-state buyers. Not for luxury. For a 1940s duplex with fresh paint and a new furnace that a guy in Atlanta wants to buy without flying in. The Matterport was doing the job the flight would have done.
So now I am trying to figure out whether the visual media market here has actually moved or whether I am watching a temporary thing driven by remote buyers who will pull back when rates do whatever rates are going to do. Because if it is real, then the photographer who stayed at $150 flat and never built 3D into their offer is about to get lapped, and if it is a moment, then the person who invested in a Matterport Pro2 and raised their prices is going to be eating that equipment cost for a while.