Does a self-directed IRA fund a second note before the first one closes, or does sequencing the capital matter more than the yield gap
I have 47k sitting in a single note right now, nine months in, balloon due in April. The note pays 9.5 percent so I am not bleeding. But I found a second deal, a 40k private loan to a builder I know in Sahuarita, 10.25 percent, 14-month term, and he wants a commitment by end of February.
If the first note pays on time I have the capital. If it does not, or if the borrower asks for an extension, I am either short or I miss the Sahuarita deal entirely. My custodian takes ten to fifteen business days to fund once I submit the direction letter, so even a clean payoff in April probably lands too late unless I start the paperwork before the money arrives.
The part I keep circling is whether I should source a smaller bridge deal to fill February while I wait, something in the 12 to 15k range, or just tell the builder I need a later close. My IRA balance outside of the note is around 6,200, which funds nothing real on its own.
The yield difference between 9.5 and 10.25 is not the decision. The real question is whether I sequence these so that no cash sits idle, or whether I accept a gap and keep the allocation cleaner. My wife would tell me to wait, which historically costs me nothing and occasionally saves me something. I am not sure that instinct applies the same way inside a retirement account where I cannot inject fresh capital if I mistime it.
Has anyone managed two consecutive notes out of the same IRA without a liquidity gap, and what did the timing actually look like end to end.