Someone offered me $310,000 for my office building last Tuesday and I don't know what to do with that
I own the building the brokerage runs out of. Bought it in 2019 for $204,000, put about $31,000 into it over four years, mostly HVAC and the roof on the back section. I have always treated it as a separate asset from the brokerage, which is probably the one smart thing I did when I set this up, because the brokerage rents from me at $2,400 a month and that rent shows up on my personal return.
The offer came from a guy who does small commercial acquisitions, not a developer, just someone who wanted the location. He was not hostile about it, said he'd honor a two-year leaseback at current market which he put at $2,800. That part is actually fine. What is not fine is that I have no idea whether $310,000 is the number or whether it's a number he floated because he thought I hadn't paid attention to what's happened on that corridor since 2021.
I pulled three comps myself. Two sold in the $280 range, one at $330, but the $330 one had a tenant paying above market and the buyer was counting on that income. My tenant is me, and I could leave. So I don't know if I'm closer to $280 or $330.
The part that is genuinely stuck in my head is what I do with the proceeds. $310,000 minus whatever I owe on the basis, minus depreciation recapture, minus capital gains, is not $310,000. I should know exactly what that number is before I even think about responding and I don't have it yet. I asked my CPA two days ago and I'm waiting.
The other thing is that the Whitehaven house I've been watching just dropped $12,000. If I sell and have dry powder I move on it. If I don't sell I keep collecting $2,400 from myself and nothing changes. I can't tell if I'm talking myself into the sale because of Whitehaven or if Whitehaven is just a real opportunity that the timing happened to surface.