Trying to decide if $50k passive in a Phoenix 312-unit deal makes more sense than buying a second house hack here in Albuquerque
The Phoenix deal is a 2021 vintage refi play, 7% pref, 70/30 split, projected 5-year hold with a 1.7x EM on the deck. My slot would be $50k and I go completely hands off. The Albuquerque side is a different story. I found a 3/2 in the North Valley for $229k, FHA again if I owner-occupy, and I could probably pull $1,100 to $1,200 a month from two roommates while I live in the third room. I'm already doing that math at my current place in the South Valley and it's working, so I know what that grind actually looks like on the ground.
The passive deal pencils nicer on paper. 1.7x on $50k is $85k back, theoretically, and I do nothing. But Phoenix comps have drifted enough in the last 18 months that I keep staring at the exit cap assumption, which the sponsor has at 5.1, and I'm not sure that's conservative enough given where rates are sitting. If the exit cap moves to 5.5 or 5.75 the multiple compresses and suddenly I'm looking at something closer to 1.4x, which is not what I'm wiring $50k for.
The North Valley house hack is more work but I control the outcome. Worst case I move and convert it to a full rental, something I can't do with an LP position if I need the money in year two. I already almost walked on my first duplex the night before closing and I'd rather have that kind of panic available to me than be locked out of any decision at all.
The thing I can't get past is that $50k sitting passive earns me nothing in experience. The second house hack teaches me another market, another set of tenants, and another FHA closing, which is the part of my portfolio I actually need to build right now.