My first syndication exit closed last month and I lost $11,200 net after four years.
Not a disaster by any measure but I keep turning over something my attorney said when I called him after the final K-1 landed. He said "you didn't lose money on the deal, you lost money on the sponsor." I cannot get that out of my head. The asset itself sold at a number close to what the original deck projected, the market cooperated reasonably well, and I still came out negative because the fee stack on the back end was structured in a way I did not read carefully enough in 2020. Asset management fee did not step down at stabilization, disposition fee was 2 percent of gross sale price rather than net proceeds, and there was a loan exit fee I missed entirely because it was in the loan assumption section rather than the fee schedule. Those three items alone account for about $19,000 in distributions I expected to receive and did not. The promote ate what was left. Four years of capital sitting still for a loss. My other two positions are performing but I am reading every line of their operating agreements again this week, specifically the sections I skimmed the first time because I trusted the summary deck.