Late fees on my 8-unit ran $2,340 last year and my management agreement says every dollar of that goes to the management company.
I did not catch it until month seven. The agreement calls it an "administrative processing fee" charged to the resident, collected by the manager, retained by the manager. My rent shows up in my owner draw. That $2,340 does not. I went back through twelve months of statements and the line never appears on my side of the ledger, it just disappears into their fee income column and I had been reading right past it. On an 8-unit that is not catastrophic but I am looking at a 24-unit in Columbus right now and if late fee retention is standard in that agreement too, I am talking about a number closer to $7,000 a year depending on the tenant mix, gone before I even see a statement.
What I want to know is whether anybody has actually negotiated this back. I asked my current manager and they said late fees offset their collection labor, which I understand as a position even if I disagree with it. The 24-unit I am underwriting has a different manager in the mix and I am not signing anything until I know whose income that line represents.