My operator wants me to sign off on a refi at month 14 and I never agreed to a refi in the term sheet
We went into this as a straight buy and hold, 24 month horizon, a Bexley fourplex I put in $190k on. The term sheet said disposition at or around month 24, split proceeds 70/30 after a 9% pref. Nothing in there about interim financing events, nothing about a cash-out refi being treated as a partial disposition, nothing. Now at month 14 he comes back with a refi that pulls $140k out and he wants to pass my share through as if we've already started the exit. I am sitting here trying to figure out if this is actually a good thing for me or if I just lost control of the timeline without realizing it.
The pref math gets weird when you refi mid-hold. My $190k has been in since closing, pref has been accruing, and if we treat the refi proceeds as a return of capital the clock resets in a way that benefits him more than me on the back end. I ran three versions in the spreadsheet and in two of them I come out ahead just waiting for a clean sale. The third one pencils if appreciation keeps going at the same pace it has since March, which I would not bet on right now in that submarket.
What I actually want to know is whether anyone has dealt with an operator who treated a refi as a unilateral operational decision rather than something that needed consent. My operating agreement has a consent threshold at $50k for capital events and $140k is obviously over that, but his attorney is now arguing a refi is not a capital event, it is a financing decision, and those are in the operator's discretion under a different section. I did not catch that distinction when I signed and I am annoyed at myself about it.